Friday, July 15, 2011

Summer cooking adventures or the lack of them...

Last summer I was busy in the kitchen a lot. Making cookies to sell, creating new recipes, trying out new recipes and just generally enjoying myself as we lived in the Niagara Peninsula.
This summer is a whole different story. I think it might have something to do with the fact that as the summer goes on, my energy levels are decreasing and food isn't as exciting to create. Or it might have something to do with the fact that I'm 35+ weeks pregnant and I have an active toddler who loves to be right with me, whatever I am doing. 


Regardless of all that, I spent yesterday in the kitchen. Almost the whole day. I took a few breaks to read some stories and to cuddle my little one and to rescue her from whatever she was into at the moment. 
I am slowly building a stash of foods for after the baby comes and time is a little more precious. 
I made bread, granola, muffins, buns, and meat for Italian beef sandwiches. 
I was done by the end of the day. Quite done. 

I didn't take any pictures of what I accomplished. I wasn't feeling that creative. And my kitchen was not looking like it wanted to be photographed.
There's still some foodie items that I'm hoping to put together this next week- things like salad dressings, marinating and then freezing meat, cooking and freezing beans for a quick burrito supper or hummus. 
And then there's our CSA delivery each week which will hopefully provide us with lots of salad greens so we can enjoy some of our favorite salads. 



I haven't been too adventurous lately in the kitchen. But I have been all kinds of inspired by different books I've been reading and bit by bit I try these new ideas out.

I do have a few recipes I want to try that incorporate all this wonderful, fresh fruit and vegetables that are coming into season. Recipes like this strawberry bruschetta.
 And I'm also going to try a few non-food recipes like bubbles and playdough. I love bubbles think that Kilmeny will love the bubbles. 

What culinary adventures have you been up to? What foods should I add to my list to make this summer?



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...