Thursday, March 17, 2011

when one is sick



We've been sick. The snuffles are just beginning to leave my little daughter but as is always the case with a cold, it has spread. Almost the entire household has come down with a cold, cough, sore throat and general unwellness. Spirits have been dampened and it's hard to remain cheerful and upbeat when you just feel like burying yourself in a heap of blankets or escaping to somewhere warm.

A few things do help. My sweet husband brought me several immune boosters when I was down and they helped immensely. So here is my little list of what to do when one is sick. 

Eat.
Grapefruit,oranges, red peppers, garlic, homemade chicken noodle soup. Try to avoid sugar, chocolate and coffee as these all tend to shut down your immune system. 

Drink. 
Water. Pure fruit and vegetable juices. Herbal tea. The fluids help flush those toxins out not to mention soothing a sore throat. My personal favorite is a steaming mug of honey and lemon. 

Sleep.
Grab a cozy blanket and curl up on the couch or bed. Allow your body to rest. Grab everyone and snuggle on the couches and watch a favorite movie.

Be happy.
Along with the grapefruit and echinacea, my husband also brought me flowers and a candle. The flowers made me smile and the candle is still lovely. Do something to boost your spirits even though you are not feeling great.



What are your ways to combat sickness?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...