Wednesday, May 18, 2011

the baking of the bread



                                                                     
I made bread yesterday. Rather I baked bread yesterday.
On a baking stone. When it came out of the oven, it looked beautiful.
Crusty, golden brown, dusted with flour.


I think I might do it again. Today. And that would be a good idea since the loaf is almost gone. It was a small loaf. 


It's been a bit of a process and it was all started by a Christmas gift from my parents. A book called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes. I read it cover to cover in a very short period of time. And then I waited. For our own place where I could have any number of bowls in the fridge waiting their turn to be baked up into luscious goodness. For the wheat to be gotten and then ground into flour. And for the right time to try out the first recipe.


The concept is simple. Take any one of the basic recipes, mix it up and store it in the fridge. On baking day, take out a portion of dough, shape it, add stuff to it and let it rise. Bake it up and enjoy fresh artisan style bread.


There are a few basic equipment needs like a baking stone and a pizza peel but these are great to have on hand anyways. I found myself making do with what I had and it worked fine for the time being. 


let my dough rise on a thin wooden cutting board dusted with flour since I don't have a pizza peel. I sprinkled my baking stone with steel cut oats since I'm all out of cornmeal. Sshh, don't tell....
 I used a pie pan filled with water to create the steam for the crusty exterior of my loaf. 
And it all turned out great! 


I started using a cookbook that I've wanted to use for sometime and this pretty much guarantees it won't be collecting dust on my shelf. 
I used organic wheat and ground it myself. Part of our journey of eating locally produced organic food
And I made artisan bread at home for a fraction of the cost. 
All little goals I've had for myself and the results are very satisfying. 

And I feel more ready to complete all those other little goals that are on my list.

disclaimer: the bread pictured above was not baked by me but mine did look like that. That loaf is from our favorite bakery, Treestone Bakery, where we get our Saturday breakfast pain au chocolat and where we used to get our bread. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm hugely proud of you, Breanne!!! Baking bread from this book is on my list too - but I just haven't managed it. Instead I will rejoice in your accomplishment and imagine how yummy your house smells. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! That looks very sharp, and I'm sure it tasted luscious... :-D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...