Thursday, June 10, 2010

Choices

The fan is blowing cool air around the room. Kilmeny is sleeping in her playpen, Jared is practicing and I'm here, writing. I have a mug half-full of tea beside me. It's quiet. It's the end of the another day. 

A day that started with a jack hammer right outside our window. That woke me up. As I groggily realized that it was morning, I was further awakened by someone swearing at the jack hammer operator. And it was then that I knew I had a choice. I had a choice to be grumpy about being woken up like that or I could embrace this new day and all that it held. I chose the latter. 

It's an invigorating choice. And a choice I had to make all day long. 

I was busy most of the day in the kitchen, baking. I'm planning to sell baking to the members of the orchestra that Jared is part of this summer. And if all goes well, I'll be preparing and selling lunches on order as well. 
At one point, we made a spontanous outing to pick up a music stand and some kitchen stuff for me. This kitchen is furnished but in a very basic fashion. I needed some cooling racks and a rolling pin. It was 30 second decision. I smiled, turned off the oven, grabbed Kilmeny and we were out the door. I laughed all the way to the van. It was so freeing. Just to go like that. Not to question. But just to answer, 'I'd love to go with you!' 

There was a concert to perform at tonight. I didn't go. I went last night. There were more cookies to bake and buns to make. I got the kitchen all cleaned up and the last batch of cookies in the oven. I do crazy things sometimes. Like starting buns after baking all afternoon because 'it makes sense since the oven is already on and homemade buns would be so nice with our hamburgers tomorrow'. Yeah, okay. Just call me crazy already.

Then Jared got home. A lot earlier then we both expected. I thought it would be another late night and had planned on filling my evening with stuff but here he was home! We talked, updated each other on our evenings thus far and made plans for the evening that we now would both spend at home. I found out that my buns were totally in vain as he has an orchestra dinner tomorrow night. That was kinda anti-climatic. So my hamburger bun dough quickly became overnight cinnamon rolls. They'll be hot and fresh for tomorrow's breakfast along with a mango/banana smoothie. Okay, I love that idea. What a brilliant change of plans. Take the buns out of the fridge, go for a run, bake them while we shower. Nice. 
  
Life is always changing. Things don't remain the same. There is always a choice to enjoy the life that is. 

And for us, creamsicle milkshakes is definitely part of enjoying life tonight.

I'm choosing to enjoy these moments. Again. And again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm SO glad you are back to blogging. I miss you. You've got a beautiful life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the way you write, Breanne!

    ~Susanna Criss

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...