Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Beauty and Post-nap Cuddles


Almost every afternoon a little ritual takes place in our home. We read. On the couch with pillows and blankets until we're all cozy and comfy. 
I have been collecting children's books for a long time and still do. I find it very hard to pass them by at thrift stores and garage sales when it's just a few dollars (or pennies!) for a classic book.

One of my favorite books is Miss Rumphius by Barbara Clooney. When I was younger, I thought I would be just like Miss Rumphius - work in a library, travel to faraway places, settle into my own home by the sea with a cat and plant lupines every spring. And have children over for tea and stories. 



source:bowdoin.edu via Breanne on Pinterest

"In the evening Alice sat on her grandfather's knee and listened to his stories of faraway places. When he had finished, Alice would say, "When I grow up, I too will go to faraway places, and when I grow old, I too will live beside the sea."
"That is all very well, little Alice," said her grandfather,"but there is a third thing you must do."
"What is that?" asked Alice. 
" You must do something to make the world more beautiful." said her grandfather.  "


And if there's one thing I want my girls to take away from our afternoon cuddle time, it's just that. 
Doing something to make the world more beautiful. 

Of course, one of the main motivations for our time on the couch is to cuddle with Kilmeny who can be a complete grouch when she wakes up and the cuddle time helps smooth the transition from sleepy to awake.
I get to introduce the girls to some of my favorite children's books, they get to learn lots of new words and we all benefit from the beautiful illustrations and well-written stories. 


It's just one of those little things that help me stay sane on the crazy, overwhelming days- to gather my girls close and read stories. And drink some tea. 


What little things are you enjoying? 




1 comment:

  1. Turning on the record player in the middle of Christmas 'chaos' to relax and cheer us :-) (never mind that we have to flip/change the records every 15 minutes :-P)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...