Friday, December 10, 2010

Fall Food Adventures



I love cooking. I love finding new recipes. I love perusing the cooking section of the library and finding new books to browse through or looking through a favorite cooking blog for inspiration. And I love learning new things in the kitchen. This fall it seems I've done a number of new things in the kitchen and that excites me to no end. Sometimes I am easily excited and thrilled. 

Okay, so the new kitchen experiences I've had the past few months:

 Making sauerkraut- the raw, fermented kind where you grate a cabbage up by hand if you don't have a food processor and then you pound it until it releases water, mix it with sea salt and caraway and store in the fridge. The process goes much better if done with a friend, I had my sister in law to help. And I'm not an expert on why fermentation is so much better for you but we're enjoying the sauerkraut. 


Roasting a turkey. Actually, make that, making an entire turkey dinner by myself. With the excellent help of my husband at the last minute when everything seemed to need attention at once, including my baby girl. It was all lovely and a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner for the three of us. We ate from the leftovers in some form or another for quite awhile. Mmm, turkey noodle soup! 

 Making doughnuts. My mother-in-law has this fabulous recipe for doughnuts and she let me have it. I've made these several times now and feel like I'm getting the hang of them. They were eaten up with gusto at our book party this November and that always feels good! 


Shopping at the market. While this is not a new experience, it was one that I took great delight in this fall. The Jean-Talon Market is one of the 'must see' places in Montreal and we did. Several times. I loved browsing the stalls brimming with fresh produce and local products. 

Tourtiere. This is a French-Canadian dish and I knew I had to make while we lived in Quebec. It's a delicious meat pie, traditionally made with ground pork. Although it is also made with a variety of ground meats, depending on the region. It was definitely a success and was the perfect dish to warm up on a chilly November evening. 


What new food discoveries have you made recently?

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Good for you, Breanne! I am dying to try my hand at raw sauerkraut too. :-) I'm so glad it turned out for you. Hopefully when I get back from my travels, I can make a nice, big batch. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...