Friday, September 24, 2010

goodbye summer, hello autumn




It's a drizzly grey day out there. We're wearing slippers and savoring the morning coffee just a little more, wrapping our hands around the warm mug. Sweaters are making more then just a casual appearance and the smell of wood fire is in the air. 

I love this time of year. The leaves changing, the nip in the air, the lamplight in the evenings. It is so refreshing after the hot and humid summer. And with the cool weather comes warm soups and stews, pies and other savory treats. 

One of my favorite autumn meals is a bowl of hearty soup with fresh bread. Mmm. I made a big pot of minestrone soup chock full of colorful vegetables, hearty beans and dried herbs from this summer. It simmered all morning and we dug into it with fresh from the oven sourdough bread. The soup has been served for several lunches and a quick go-to supper. It has had various add-ins with leftovers from other meals all serving to add to the flavor. 

Autumn brings about all kinds of good reasons to be in the kitchen a little longer. New recipes to try out and old ones to remember. Clam chowder is one of my new favorites, the recipe I use has about five ingredients, goes together quickly and the flavor is good till the last drop. I'm anticipating making little pies, reminiscent of  our time in New Zealand and trying out some of Quebec's local traditional food. 

What are your favorite autumn recipes? 

photo by my amazing husband

3 comments:

  1. Pumpkin anything (rolls, muffins, bars, pie...) carrot cake, cinnamon rolls, (and cream cheese frosting on all three :-), pecan cinnamon muffins, main dishes that were too warm and hearty for summer, etc. Fall is definitely my favorite time of year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, I also love this time of year! I know what you mean about wrapping your hands around the cup of coffee and just savoring it more. It's almost as good as a hug! The description of that soup makes me want to invite myself over for lunch :)

    All your fall food plans sound delish!
    Tourtierre would be a good recipe to try for Quebec food, I made it last Christmas and it was a real treat.

    Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write Breanne! If I didn't already think autumn was the most beautiful time of the year, I'd probably think it was after reading this! :)
    You're such an inspiration with all your creativity in the kitchen and your total delight in life. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...